account grouping?

Pete Yadlowsky petey@uu.net
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:48:01 -0500

Hi there,

I'm a new gnucash user coming off Quicken. I'm quite impressed with the
overall structure and utility of gnucash, even if it's not yet quite as
polished and automated as certain commercial products. Anyway, I've
moved all my accounts over to gnucash.

Barely into using gnucash, I've already come up with a wish-list entry
(among a few others) that perhaps has already been answered somehow: is
there a way to create a sort of type-less composite account that allows
the visual grouping of a set of related accounts of any type?
Specifically, I'm thinking of my house and its associated mortgage:

	Home Accounts:asset(?)
		House:asset (the house itself)
		Mortgage Principal:liability
		Mortgage Interest:expense

I haven't been able to get anything like this to work using the account
types gnucash provides. For one thing, it doesn't seem to allow grouping
expense accounts with anything other than income and expense accounts.
As it is, I have to put the Mortgage Interest account in a separate area
with other expense accounts and I don't get the visual/logical grouping
I'd like. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--
Pete Yadlowsky
UUNET Technologies, Inc.                           Voice - 703-886-7931