account grouping?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:38:19 +1100

Pete Yadlowsky writes:

 > Hi there,
 >
 > I'm a new gnucash user coming off Quicken. I'm quite impressed with the
 > overall structure and utility of gnucash, even if it's not yet quite as
 > polished and automated as certain commercial products. Anyway, I've
 > moved all my accounts over to gnucash.
 >
 > Barely into using gnucash, I've already come up with a wish-list entry
 > (among a few others) that perhaps has already been answered somehow: is
 > there a way to create a sort of type-less composite account that allows
 > the visual grouping of a set of related accounts of any type?
 > Specifically, I'm thinking of my house and its associated mortgage:
 >
 > 	Home Accounts:asset(?)
 > 		House:asset (the house itself)
 > 		Mortgage Principal:liability
 > 		Mortgage Interest:expense
 >
 > I haven't been able to get anything like this to work using the account
 > types gnucash provides. For one thing, it doesn't seem to allow grouping
 > expense accounts with anything other than income and expense accounts.
 > As it is, I have to put the Mortgage Interest account in a separate area
 > with other expense accounts and I don't get the visual/logical grouping
 > I'd like. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hmm, if those accounts are buried deep in the hierachy, there's
probably not a great way of doing it.

In the upcoming development version, you can have "hyperlinks" to
reports to account registers, and you will be able to replace the
current front page with a bunch of custom "reports", so what you will
be able to do is write a report that contains the accounts laid out in
any order you so choose and then put *that* on the main window.

Of course, that's going to require me to debug my new main window code
and make it actually *work* :-)

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We are excited and optimistic about its usage going
forward and, yes, we can teach penguins the military
close-order drill", Mark Norton, US Department of Defense.