account aliases (was "account grouping?")

Pete Yadlowsky petey@uu.net
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:09:51 -0500

Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

> In the upcoming development version, you can have "hyperlinks" to
> reports to account registers, and you will be able to replace the
> current front page with a bunch of custom "reports", so what you will
> be able to do is write a report that contains the accounts laid out in
> any order you so choose and then put *that* on the main window.

Sounds interesting, thanks. The mention of links brings up another
thought I had while setting up my accounts: account aliases. Consider a
couple of expense account trees:

	Insurance
		Medical
		Homeowners
		Auto

	Automotive
		Fuel
		Maintenance
		Insurance

It'd be useful if "Insurance:Auto" and "Automotive:Insurance" could me
made to refer to the same account so you could access it on any of
several reasonable paths. Something like symbolic links. If no one
thinks this is a bad idea and something like it isn't already in the
works, I may just roll up my sleeves and take a crack at it myself.

--
Pete Yadlowsky
UUNET Technologies, Inc.                           Voice - 703-886-7931