Auto-repeating entries

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:56:10 -0500

In a message dated: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:16:44 CST
linas@linas.org said:

>It's been rumoured that Paul Lussier said:
>>
>> Er, what kind of database?
>
>Gosh, I really have to watch my language.

This seems to becoming a trend with me.  Everytime you say something, I ask
for clarification which results in the conversation spiralling ever deeper in
to areas more completely unrelated to the subject line :)

>from now-until-forever, gnucash will support a flat-file format,

This is good to know.  If this ever changes, can I used this e-mail as a
reference :)

>We are focused on keeping usability/maintenance as simple as we can.

That one goal is better than anything I've ever heard from any other
development team (OSS included).  I don't even think the Gnome/KDE folks claim
that :)  Please remember this focus, it will gain you many followers :)

>I've been working on prototype code for this, and its starting to feel good.

Hmmm, I've never heard of anyone describing DB coding as "feeling good" :)
Are you sure you're not a little too over worked over there ;)

>Not for a single-user system.  But I've also done prototype code for
>a network-attached, multi-user system.  A gnucash ASP service.  Think
>of some future gnucash as a 'financial browser for the web', or a
>'Nautilus for financial info'.

I think that might be cool.  But I'm paranoid, and don't think I'd ever trust
something like this in general.  No offense to what you're doing, it's just me.
It's one thing to buy something over the web, it's something entirely
different when, if the system is compromised, my entire financial history is
then exposed.  Aside from obvious security implications of having your
financial data leaked to nefarious individuals, the personal information
one can derive from studying purchasing/spending habits, stock trades, etc.
is amazing.

>> do their finances over the web, and then wonder why their credit cards are
>> being used by someone in some other country!
>
>Right!  The folks at amazon.com should really tighten security.  Oh,
>and by the way, if you are good with windows debuggers, you should really
>really look at what quicken2000 is sending over the net back home to
>intuit.com ... what you don't know (about what your proprietary app is
>doing) *can* kill you.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware of that (of course, I used Quicken 4, under
Win3.11, which doesn't connect to anyting :)

What kinds of things does Quicken2K expose?  Is there some documentation on
this somewhere?

> Open source==auditable code.

That's why I'm here :)

Thanks!