Data file getting large...what to do?

Poe, Ted tpoe@keyspanenergy.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:19:08 -0500

Currently, I am running 1.4.9 and have been using GnuCash for the last 6
months.  When I began using GnuCash, I imported my Quicken data which dates
back to 1987.  My data file is now 1.7 Meg, slow to load and save, and
recently I have been having a few problems with freeze-ups that I haven't
seen enough to duplicate and try to troubleshoot.

My question is what to do.  I thought the best option would be to simply
close out my books at the end of 2000, transfer all balances to Retained
Earnings/Liabilities, and start a new data file for all future transactions.
Can someone explain the Scrub Accounts command in light of this?  Would this
allow me to use a copy of my datafile for the Chart of Accounts but
eliminate the transactions to start anew?  It seems as though I'd need to
maintain the Chart of Accounts, especially if you read my next question.

A follow-up question would be what is the implication for upcoming releases?
If I start a new datafile now, will it be feasible to merge the two
datafiles when we switch to the XML format?  If not, if/when a database
engine is used, will I have an old file format plus an XML file that I'll
somehow have to make scripts to load the data?

Thanks for the help.

Ted