Updating my bank account - qif downloads

Dan Kegel dank@alumni.caltech.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:24:17 -0800

Bill Gribble wrote:
> The current QIF importer is not optimal for periodic updating of your
> records.  It's mainly designed for people migrating from Quicken to
> Gnucash.  The features to make incremental importing easier are on the
> list of things to do, but haven't been done yet.

I'm looking forward to that feature, but for now, it's easy enough
to download nonoverlapping periods.

> The file names don't really matter.  If you make sure to check the
> Accounts and Categories matches to see that the correct Gnucash
> accounts are being picked you will be OK.

I'm unclear on how it picks accounts.  Does it autorecognize
the recipient (e.g. "Ralphs Groceries #1140", "Lucky Supermarket #0412"),
notice that you assigned those to "Groceries" in the past, and
turn a check into 'a transfer from Checking to groceries'?
Or so we have to create accounts for each recipient, and group
all supermarkets together under a Groceries category?

Fuzzily yours,
Dan