Updating my bank account - qif downloads

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:53:29 -0600

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 09:24:17AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I'm unclear on how it picks accounts.  Does it autorecognize the
> recipient (e.g. "Ralphs Groceries #1140", "Lucky Supermarket
> #0412"), notice that you assigned those to "Groceries" in the past,
> and turn a check into 'a transfer from Checking to groceries'?

No.  You'll have to do that by hand.  If the QIF file you are
importing has no Category information (and bank downloads generally
don't), the transactions will be from the bank account to the Expense
account "Unspecified".

The matching you describe would be a nice feature.

> Or so we have to create accounts for each recipient, and group all
> supermarkets together under a Groceries category?

That's not necessary, since the payee isn't used at all in determining
what account to use.  Just make a groceries account and move the
transactions by hand after you import them, at least until payee-based
account selection is added to the QIF importer.

b.g.