account aliases (was "account grouping?")

Todd Greer todd.greer@ni.com
30 Jan 2001 12:16:57 -0600

gnucash-user-admin@lists.gnumatic.com writes:

> From: Pete Yadlowsky <petey@uu.net>@lists.gnumatic.com on 01/18/2001 10:46
>       AM EST
> I thought about that. As I envision the account data structure, the
> account itself would exist independently of the account names that refer
> to it, but it would hold a registry of all of its names. "account" and
> "account-link" become two distinct data objects; an account would have
> no "true" link of its own. When you remove an account that has more than
> one link, you're asked if you want to remove just the link, or the
> account itself. Removing the account would remove all of its links as
> well. No danglers. This is closest to a "hard" link except that it gives
> you the option of deleting all the links (and the account) when you
> delete one.

This would have the advantage of letting me visually kill accounts
that are no longer useful, but without really killing them.  I don't
normally want to see the bank accounts that I've closed, but I
occasionally may still need to be able to find them.

--
Todd Greer	<todd.greer@ni.com>