GnuCash Features Survey

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:57:45 -0500

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 02:04:29PM -0400, fleet@teachout.org was heard to remark:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 10:57:29AM -0400, fleet@teachout.org was heard to remark:
> > > I would really like to see some method of adding notes to a transaction.
> > > (And I understand this is "in progress?")
> >
> > Well, there are 'memo' fields for each split right now ...
> > (change display to two-line mode)
> >
> > or do you want to add multi-line 'notes'?
>
> Notes - a couple hundred characters would probably suffice.  Things like
> "Food for july 4 picnic." "SOB always pays late." "Warrantee filed under
> Auto, Tires" Stuff like this.

In two line mode, there one line for a 'description' and a second for
'memo'.  Are you saying that isn't enough?

> > > I'm excited about the possibility of making my GnuCash accounts available
> > > to my bookkeeper (700 miles away).
> >
> > best would be to ask the accountant what format they want to get you
> > data in.  Or better .. do a bit of PR, and ask them to take the survey.
>
> If I can export it to QIF - he'll be happy.

:-( it should be 'easy' to add this, but no one has gotten around to it
yet ...

> If he can access the data
> itself and run reports, he'll be ecstatic.

Not the same thing, but you know you can export reports to html, right?

> And if he can actually get me
> to use a double entry bookkeeping system and he can help me set it up,
> he'll think he died and went to heaven!

And if he installs Linux, we'll be ecstatic!

--linas