GnuCash Features Survey

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:26:31 -0400

> one disapointment so far is that 50% or respondents are programmers, and
> another 25% are engineers.  Where  are the 'ordinary users'?

Regrettably, I don't think we get "ordinary users" until things are
insanely easy to install.  Especially not when Windows is pervasive, and
Quicken is easy to install.

Personally, I had been running Linux on some machines (my server, my
gateway) and W2k on others (my desktops).  With the stability in W2k I
would have been happy to continue using it as a desktop os.  Then I started
reading about Windows XP and decided I didn't want give up my privacy to
Micro$oft.  So when I got my new desktop machine, I decided to install
Linux from the get go and convert to using it exclusively.  With going that
route, I needed a replacement for Quicken, and running it under VMWare just
seemed wrong.  That, and I had used a double column accounting system for
years before switching to Quicken for convenience, so going back to a real
accounting system was attractive.

I think it's going to be a while before we see lots of 'ordinary users.'
But with peoples growing interest in privacy, Windows XP might be the best
think Microsoft has ever done for the Linux community.