DEM-Account -> buying stocks in EUR

Matthias Hensler Matthias Hensler <matthias@wspse.de>
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:07:34 +0200

Hi!

I recently updated from GnuCash 1.4.x to 1.6.0 (after I found all necessary
RPMs at Rawhide) - using Redhat 7.1.

The first problem I encountered is, that a windowpositions are wrong:
a) the main-window is full maximized on startup (800x600), but on the
   wrong position. It does not start at +0+0, but on +0+10.
b) the register headings are wrong, I tried to minimize the description
   column, but every time I re-enter the register it's wrong again.

Both happens although the setting for saving window positions is on.

This is only a minor problem, but a solution would be great for this,
since I only have 800x600 on my laptop and I hate to minimize and
maximize the headers all the time.

Now my big problem: All my accounts have the currency DEM.
Beside my account from my homebank I now got an account from a foreign
bank for buying stocks.
The bankaccount has the currency DEM, and I transfered x DEM from my
homebank to this account.

Then I set up a stock account for buying fonds. This account has the
currency EUR. I tried to buy some stocks, but GnuCash don't let me do
this. How can I solve this problem. I cannot switch all my accounts to
EUR yet, because most things are payed in DEM, especially all the things
I buy in cash.

I found a little workaround by changing the bankaccount from "bank" to
"currency", but even then I have to enter transactions between my
homebank and my stockbank manually: the stockbank account was set up as
currency DEM->EUR, but I have to enter the exchange rate (if I transfer
x DEM from homebank to the stockbank, I have x EUR there, until I
manually change the rate to 1,95538).

Please tell me that there is an easier way to handle both: DEM and EUR
accounts. I thought there shouldn't be a problem, since there is a fixed
exchange rate.

Matthias