1.7 & 1.6.1-2 cannot co-exist?

Jonathan David Wheelhouse whsjnd@froggy.com.au
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:22:41 +1000

Hi

I was quite happily using gnucash 1.6.1.  I also usually compile and
run the development version to see how things are going and learn.

Tonight, I did:
- cvs update
- ./autogen.sh --with-g-wrap-prefix=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local
- make (but had to change to root because it didn't have access
to something)
- make install

I ran the development version; it said something about DEM or currency
(maybe touching the data file); I don't unfortunately remember
exactly. It ran OK.

Then when I ran the stable 1.6.1 version - it kept failing with a
'cannot exec /usr/bin/gnucash'.  I realised that maybe some shared
libraries (I think gncengine.so) conflicted; there was some missing
symbol (function actually, xacc something or other).  So, I did
- make uninstall

But now there are still errors with the stable version: after tip of
the day appears there is a dialog box popup "error An error occurred
while processing <my data file>".  And (since I ran it from an xterm)
there is a whole bunch of text filling up the xterm with things like
"((tag gnc:account)".

I think if I re-install the development version I can use that but I'm
reluctant to do so in case something breaks.

Did the development version do something to my data file that the
stable version dies on?

Any advice appreciated.

Jonathan