Sync with gnome releases

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:44:53 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:31:21PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:14:14PM -0500, Bill Gribble was heard to remark:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:53:43AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > I think that emails like the below offer a cautionary tale about
> > > failing to sync up to gnome releases.  As things currently
> > > stand, we have to deal with twice as many RPM's: those built
> > > with pre-gnome-1.4 libraries, and those built with
> > > post-gnome-1.4 libraries.  If we sync'ed up, then maybe we could
> > > avoid some of this .... just an idea ...
> >
> > I just figured out part of what you mean in the above.  I think you
> > misunderstand; all of the RPMs on our site are for gnome 1.4 ... the
> > parallel set of RPMs are for *guile* 1.4, which isn't a part of Gnome
> > officially and so its versioning has to be handled orthogonally.
>
> Uhh, that wasn't the issue.  The original note mentioned a suse gnucash
> rpm which required libgal.so.4 but thier gnome-1.4 system had only
> libgal.so.8 and thus, the install was failing.

OK, I was just trying to figure out what you meant by "having to deal
with twice as many RPMs", and since the only kind of RPM duplication
we have is the guile-1.3.4 / guile-1.4 kind, I assumed that you had
gotten confused by the duplicate RPM trees on the ftp site (the naming
convention isn't as clear as it could be).

As I understand it, the version of GAL that the gnucash RPMs are built
against is the "official" gnome-1.4 version, and SuSE is incompatibly
upgrading without leaving behind a lib from the official release.

I run an up-to-date Debian unstable system and build gnucash from
source, and I have only libgal7 installed because there's no Debian
package for libgal8.  It's very unlikely that libgal8 should be
considered the "correct" version for us to build RPMs against.

b.g.