Fwd: Re: Paying Expenses

Eric E Moore e.e.moore@shef.ac.uk
23 Jul 2001 14:27:59 +0100

>>>>> "Darryll" == Darryll Truchan <dtruchan@bellatlantic.net> writes:

Darryll> Informational labels are inconsistent and the Accounting
Darryll> labels are reversed from how I wish.

Personally, I would be opposed to adding an option to just reverse the
labels, as it creates an incredible ambiguity.  Much as I oppose people
calling the case with their CPU/hard disk/motherboard/etc in it their
"hard disk" I think a misuse of the accounting terms would be
confusing.

Not that, BTW, I'm opposed to an open-ended field for each account
where you can customize the names of the "debit" and "credit" columns,
but a check-box that basically reads "do everything backwards from
standard accounting practice" seems to be just *asking* for confusion.

"increase" and "decrease" as standard options would be appropriate
(where "increase" increases both assets and liabilities....)

  -Eric