Speed of graphic reports

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:03:11 -0500

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:23:10AM +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> The graphics (bar charts etc) are so slow that the first 2 or 3 times I
> thought gnucahs had crashed.
>
> I guess this is beciaus it must start an external app first (as the cpu
> load shows almost nill during the wait I assume it's not a math problem)

No, that's not it.  Guppi libraries are linked in to gnucash.

There is a known bug that in some circumstances the Guppi graph won't
appear until you move the mouse pointer around.

> Perhapse some form of visual feed back could be included, as gnucash is
> totaly unresponsive (even menus) untill the report is generated.

That's a good idea.  We have a progress bar that could be recruited to
work in this circumstance.

However, I'm pretty surprised that things are as slow as you describe.
On my system, reports and graphs are reasonably responsive.
Definitely not more than a few seconds for most reports.

b.g.