gnucash's dependencies criticized

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:37:27 +1000

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:10:59 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>     In case you missed /.,

Rest assured, we noticed . . .

>     http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/06/15/0128247&mode=thread
>
>     I have to say, I tend to agree. I do not choose to run Gnome, I
> prefer
> KDE, and just like I don't want to run Winblows to get their
> applications, I'd
> rather not have a ton of libs installed just to use Gnucash.
>
>     Is there a statically-linked version available?

If you have a statically-linked version installed, you've still got
all the libraries.  It's just that if you install another package
that needs them, you end up with multiple copies of the same library.

That all said and done, static linking does have advantages when
trying to get things to work across multiple distributions.  We
don't have one right now, but watch this space . . .

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig