gnucash's dependencies criticized

Michael P. Soulier msoulier@storm.ca
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:49:59 -0400

--HAv5+T9jbwMPl6Kw

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 01:37:27AM +1000, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
>=20
> If you have a statically-linked version installed, you've still got
> all the libraries.  It's just that if you install another package
> that needs them, you end up with multiple copies of the same library.

    Not entirely true. If you have a statically-linked version, you have on=
ly
the parts of those libraries that are actually used by the client program.
With dynamic libs, you have the entire library, even if all you are using is
one function.=20

> That all said and done, static linking does have advantages when=20
> trying to get things to work across multiple distributions.  We=20
> don't have one right now, but watch this space . . .=20

    Many thanks. The dependencies across the Gnome and KDE spaces are start=
ing
to scare me.=20

    Mike

--=20
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>=20
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessari=
ly a
good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could=
 be
dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925

--HAv5+T9jbwMPl6Kw

--HAv5+T9jbwMPl6Kw--