Automatic bills ???

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:24:31 -0400

In a message dated: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:07:23 CDT
Linas Vepstas said:

>or evolution.  I wonder if KDE users expect thier own native calander to
>be used.

Well, I'm not crazy about using Evolution for this type of thing,
since I don't use Evolution.  I agree with your points about making
invoice writing a snap, etc, however, I do not now nor am I ever
likely to use Evolution (which just seems like an Outlook knock-off
anyway.  And a copy of a bad thing doesn't make it a good thing, no
matter how much better the code is :)  For e-mail I use exmh, but
others are just as likely to use any of the other 5 billion mail
clients available for Unix/Linux.

Integrating with Evolution may make them feel that they're being
herded into using applications they don't want to use for whatever
reason.

No, if you could tie into Evolution only for the address db portion
of it, then that might be okay.  Personally, I think it would be a
lot better to tie into one calendar application and one address book
application but store the GnuCash data separately from where those
apps would normally look for it in case the user already uses those
them and doesn't want the data merged.  You could support the option
to merge the data should they want to, but keep it separate by
default.

If you can tie into evolution without requiring the use to use it,
i.e. still provide a mechanism for data entry from within GnuCash
that would probably be fine.  Or, maybe, using Evoltion separately
from other appplications.  In other words, if I have a business, all
business related information would be dealt with through evolution,
but private affairs could be dealt with via external applications of
my choice, that way my private calendar/address book doesn't get
merged with my business one.  And of course, I can always sync my
Pilot with everything so I can carry around a merged set of data :)

>what, you don't beleive in dll hell?

I do believe in DLL hell, which is why I'm running Linux.  I don't
believe that code re-use is a bad thing, nor are dependecies upon
applications which solve a problem quickly, cleanly, and efficiently,
especially if the alternative is to waste a lot of time re-inventing
a wheel that is not in the realm of your core interests/competence :)
--

Seeya,
Paul