gnucash's dependencies criticized

Tyson Dowd trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:28:23 +1000

On 15-Jun-2001, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca> wrote:
>     In case you missed /.,
>
>     http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/06/15/0128247&mode=thread
>
>     I have to say, I tend to agree. I do not choose to run Gnome, I prefer
> KDE, and just like I don't want to run Winblows to get their applications, I'd
> rather not have a ton of libs installed just to use Gnucash.
>
>     Is there a statically-linked version available?

I did some work on a statically linked version, and one of the big
problems with that packages and libraries don't always provide static
libraries.  Also, programs such as gnome-config only provide
configuration settings for dynamic linking, they are often different
then dynamic linking.  This seems tobe because dynamic linking is so
popular on Linux that people are ignoring static linking when testing.
The result is that it can be very difficult to put together the static
linking dependencies for 60 libraries.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.