gnucash's dependencies criticized

Michael P. Soulier msoulier@storm.ca
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:36:02 -0400

--DOr+hlVy7JMLa9bO

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:30:33AM -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
>=20
> Gnome, IMO, is far more to blame for problems in general than any=20
> other piece of sw one may install on a Linux system these days.  I=20
> know very little about the Gnome architecture, but from my=20
> observations have led me to believe that Gnome is becoming=20
> increasingly bloated and incestuously dependent.  Everything in Gnome=20
> depends upon esound for example (why the gnome-print needs sound is=20
> completely beyond me, but this is a perfect example of a ludicrous=20
> dependency.  Someone please explain this one to me!)

    Agreed. This kind of thing is ludicrous. If someone wants sound during a
print, it should be optional, not required. This is as ridiculous as requir=
ing
flash to view a website (or javascript for that matter). These things are
gloss, pretty additions thrown on the top. They should _never_ be required =
permit the program to function. That's just bad design.=20

    I truly hope we don't lose sight of why Unix works in our attempts to
compete with winblows. While I cannot agree all the time with ESR, I have to
agree on most of his points in this one.=20

    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/

    Simplicity is a good thing, IMHO.=20

    Mike

--=20
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>=20
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessari=
ly a
good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could=
 be
dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925

--DOr+hlVy7JMLa9bO

--DOr+hlVy7JMLa9bO--