gnucash's dependencies criticized

Tyson Dowd trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:53:30 +1000

On 15-Jun-2001, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:28:23AM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > I did some work on a statically linked version, and one of the big
> > problems with that packages and libraries don't always provide static
> > libraries.  Also, programs such as gnome-config only provide
> > configuration settings for dynamic linking, they are often different
> > then dynamic linking.  This seems tobe because dynamic linking is so
> > popular on Linux that people are ignoring static linking when testing.
> > The result is that it can be very difficult to put together the static
> > linking dependencies for 60 libraries.
>
>     Lovely. What's the point if they don't provide facilities for both? You
> might want one, single function from a huge library, and suddenly you have to
> package in the huge library? That sucks.
>     Isn't there an option when you're building the libs to build both? I seem
> to recall it had one when I built Gtk+ on HP-UX.

The problems are primarily that:

	- dependency ordering is unimportant in dynamic linking but
	  vital in static linking
	- libs are often built with the different names for the .a and
	  .so files.
	- Linux packagers sometimes forget to include the static libs
	  when they build packages.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.