gnucash's dependencies criticized/OT

GLeeJohnson lee@imyourhandiman.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:04:45 -0700

Paul Lussier wrote:

> (heh, who woulda thought I'd get mentioned in the same line as
> developers, a shy, quiet, end user like myself ;)
>
> >many thanks for 1.6.0 which is (and look and feels) great. Outstanding
> >job! The trouble seems to be to compile gnome which is "a pain in the ass"
> >(to say the least).

i agree with everything you said.......:) fwiw...i use gnome because i
"prefer" the look/feal of gnome..i also wonder about the fate of kde because
of microsofts entanglement in corel.......paranoia maybe and not based on
facts but it bothers me I'd actually like to think i'm way off base.........

anyway i'm both patient and persistent because i love digging into things and
how they work and i'm learning to program so the shoe fits..........thats why
i'm kinda fed up with redhat expecially after learning about the fiasco over
gcc for petes sake ......so i'm downloading debian although I have a feeling
that will be a different kettle altogether BUT from what I understand far more
stable and stable IS what i'm looking for in the end part of why i switched
from windows..............desktop wize anyway server thats prob dead issue
redhat prob rules........

I don't know if its the thrown together RH7.1 that I have or gnome or both but
i gotta try something else i'm having far too many issues in past where i had
to run fsck manually and didnt' always work ie:desktop loads again.......this
"scares" the hell out of me as I NEVER have this kind of issue in winblows and
linux is supposed to be the "stable" one........i shouldn't have to worry
if/when my OS is going to drop me to the command line and say sorry chum
.........it worries me needless to say :) even though I backup......

so there I am downloading ( thanks to my state of the art at&t cable internet
connect..whew ) progeny we'll see....

however having said that......."I realize" its still in the end......."free"
and thus i haven't a great deal of room to bitch perse <g>......especially
since I downloaded RH7.1 but the basic one i guess is only what $35.00 or so a
far cry from windows ME or whatever....

anyway i'm using gnucash and while I know its still "out there" as far as bugs
cropping up possibly i'm just going to get in habit of backing up alot in
case.....i have way too much data to enter soon to risk that :)....and i'm so
proud of this team to have given us such a fine product in suppport of such an
awesome idea..open source!!!!!!!!!!!! look out bill..........can't wait for
that debate!!!!!!!!!

vastly improved ? no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!! and yes in another year its
gonna be sweet ......

latre
lee
-===