canadian stock quotes and account totals

Martin Hill martin@netspace1.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:19:17 +0200

Hi,

someone mentioned on the list success with retrieving canadian stock quotes.
I have been only moderately successful, in that I get the quotes, from yahoo,
using the .TO, .M, or .V suffix on the symbol, but the price appears with USD
as the currency, even though it should be CAD. So I have to manually change
the currency for all the new quotes.

Another thing I noticed, in the accounts page, the account total for a parent
account does not include commodity sub-accounts of different currencies
unless the commodity has a price recoded in the parent's currency. This
requires maintaining prices for stocks in multiple currencies, if you, say,
want to show your total investment assets in USD but have the bulk of them in
CAD. It would be nice if the total automatically did the conversion using the
exchange rate. Does this make sense? Could be I just don't understand the
design well enough...

--

Martin Hill <martin@netspace1.com>