Problems with popt

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:05:35 -0500

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:53:14AM -0300, Bruno Trevisan was heard to remark:
> Hi
>
> Almost giving up installing GC1.6... hell on earth!
> I've instaled popt, in versions 1.5 and them in 1.6.1 and now in 1.6.2,
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH on my system includes the place where the libraries
> are, I _did_ run ldconfig as root after instalation, and I tested popt,
> it is working but ./configure in gnucash insists:
>
> checking for poptStrippedArgv in -lpopt... no
> configure: error:
>
>   popt 1.5 or newer is required to build gnucash. You can download
>   the latest version from ftp://people.redhat.com/sopwith/popt/, or if
>   you're running Debian, install the libpopt-dev pacakge.
>
> What am I missing?

Sometimes configure lies, and the test for popt fails not because
its missing, but because of something else.  Read carefully
(or repost here) the last few dozen lines of config.log  That
will reveal the true error.

--linas