1.6.0 RPM available for Redhat 6.2 available yet

Bill Nottingham notting@redhat.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:20:19 -0400

Linas Vepstas (linas@linas.org) said:
> > Huh? There's nothing to prevent installing glibc-2.2 without upgrading
> > the compiler.  You might need some compiler patches to *rebuild* glibc,
> > though.
>
> I guess I should look at email addresses first, before I post.
>
> I had an rh62 system at home.  I wanted to install some new-improved
> thingy from rawhide (which at that point was between rh70 and rh71).
> But the dependency cascade was such that by the time I got done
> installing, the system would have defacto become an rh70 system.
> This was a more traumatic change than I wanted to have.

This could definitley happen if it's a C++ application; that would bring
in the new compiler. Straight C stuff should only bring in
a new glibc, though. (Other dependencies on new verions of packages
could also give you a dependency mess.)

I'm not saying it can't happen, because it probably will
(the dependency chain that drags things in is pretty ugly); but
it's certainly possible to just have glibc-2.2 on a previously
glibc-2.1 system.

Bill