1.6.0 RPM available for Redhat 6.2 available yet

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:03:03 -0500

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 02:20:19PM -0400, Bill Nottingham was heard to remark:
> Linas Vepstas (linas@linas.org) said:
> This could definitley happen if it's a C++ application; that would bring
> in the new compiler. Straight C stuff should only bring in
> a new glibc, though. (Other dependencies on new verions of packages
> could also give you a dependency mess.)
>
> I'm not saying it can't happen, because it probably will
> (the dependency chain that drags things in is pretty ugly); but
> it's certainly possible to just have glibc-2.2 on a previously
> glibc-2.1 system.

I suppose I should have let this thread die. I agree that if one
hand-copied a new glibc into place, chances are, everything would work.
But the rpm ... I vaguley remembered that it wanted a new version of
pam. And the old python-based user config tools didn't like having a
new pam, so they needed upgrading. But the new tools needed the new
python environment... and so on.  Sooner or later, theres a python
based gtk app, and so gtk needs upgrading ... dominoes.

--linas