RedHat 7.1 and KDE install

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:58:14 -0500

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:18:18PM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> When I installed my system, I installed both KDE and Gnome but I use
> KDE.  No matter what I do, I run into dependency issues.  I solve
> one by downloading it and it wants another.  By the time I am down
> the dependency tree, I don't know what I have and have not
> installed.

Chasing dependencies is a nightmare on Red Hat.  Don't do that :)

You need a complete install of Gnome-1.4, which you can get from
Ximian or the GNOME Packaging Project.  Install everything.  If you
use KDE, the only difference will be a little less free disk space.
The version of GNOME that came with your operating system is too old
and you have to upgrade it.

>From the Gnucash web site, you need to install the RPMs for 'guppi',
'g-wrap', and 'gnucash'.  Make sure you get the RPMs that correspond
to the version of Guile you have installed; if you get Ximian GNOME,
your Guile will be upgraded to ver 1.4, but from the GNOME Packaging
Project you'll still have ver 1.3.4.  There are separate directories
on the gnucash ftp site for redhat-7.1 and redhat-7.1+guile-1.4.

In general, I would recommend against using things like 'rpmfind.net'
to locate installable software.  Use Red Hat official packages where
possible, and go directly to the source for everything else
(i.e. Ximian or Gnome Packaging Project for Gnome, gnucash.org for
gnucash).

If you wait a couple of months, there will be a CD release of gnucash
that will have all the stuff you need, but that's still a couple of
months away.

Good luck,
Bill Gribble