Installation Problems

James LewisMoss jimdres@mindspring.com
09 Mar 2001 13:39:35 -0500

 Tim> No, I didn't run ldconfig.  I'm relatively new to Linux, so this
 Tim> may seem like a dumb question, but what does ldconfig do and how
 Tim> do I run it?  Just type 'ldconfig' at the command line in the
 Tim> directory where I compiled guile?

The dynamic linker (the program that loads libraries for programs when
they start running) uses a database in /etc called ld.so.cache.
ldconfig builds that cache.  If a library isn't found in the cache it
can't be loaded, so everytime you put a new lib in one of the library
directories (/lib, /usr/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/local/lib) that
cache must be rebuilt.

 Tim> As for g-wrap, does it have to be exactly 0.9.12?  I
 Tim> compiled/installed from 1.1.9. Should I try going back to
 Tim> 0.9.12?

I missed the initial, but 0.9.12 is needed for gnucash 1.4.x and 1.1.x
won't work with a 1.4 version of gnucash.  the 1.5.x beta/alpha
versions of gnucash need a 1.1.x version of g-wrap.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!