1.4.10 crashes on Reports->Transaction Report

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:18:25 +0000 (GMT)

On 19 Mar 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> In general, you should have two "reply" buttons in your mailer.  In
> mine there's "R" which replies to the author, and "F" which
> "follows-up" to the list, the author, and everyone.  If I choose the
> second, it'll direct the reply to the list too.

Cue the age old debate!

Basically, there are two schools of thought; the above one, in which list
postings are "from" the author and "to" the list IIRC. Therefore, replying
goes to the poster alone, and you need a special mailer feature to discuss
stuff on-list. This approach is apparently a technically purer approach,
but does require special mailer setup to use the list well, and annoys
people when they get their list posting replies twice.

The other school of thought is technically impure, but generally much
preferred; the mailing list adds "Reply-To:" to list postings so replies
go to the default, and posting just to the author (which is generally
rarer). People can use any working mailer (even Outlook!). Even if they
use a mailer with seperate "follow up" options, they don't need to do
anything different for mailing list discussion as per personal email.

This is the cause of many flamewars. I personally prefer reply-to the
list. But others disagree...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell