1.4.10 crashes on Reports->Transaction Report

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
19 Mar 2001 14:51:24 -0600

Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com> writes:

> This approach is apparently a technically purer approach, but does
> require special mailer setup to use the list well, and annoys people
> when they get their list posting replies twice.

And if we could just get MUA's to respect a standard "List-Follups-To:
never" (or whatever it's called) as much as the respect "Reply-To:",
then user's who don't want the double replies, can indicate that.

Alternately, with a suitably smart MUA or mail filter, you can just
tell it to quash the duplicates, though that's not optimal for people
who pay by the byte for connectivity.

> Even if they use a mailer with seperate "follow up" options, they
> don't need to do anything different for mailing list discussion as
> per personal email.

But of course, this makes it hard to keep people who aren't on the
list involved in the conversation, and in my experience, that's been
very common and important.  Though I suppose there could be yet
another MUA key that says "followup ignoring Reply-To".  I'm not sure
what problems that might cause, though.

> This is the cause of many flamewars. I personally prefer reply-to
> the list. But others disagree...

Yep.  I think I'm probably one of the disagreers, though I'm not
foaming about it, and there are definitely two valid sides...

(Though for this mail, I remembered to delete you from the To list :>)