Editing accounts

ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:50:53 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 linas@linas.org wrote:

> It's been rumoured that ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca said:
> >
> > When a person is first learning GnuCash, and setting up
> > non-trivial accounts, it sure would be nice if it was
> > easier to edit things.  I had one account set up as an
> > asset I think, and then changed it to a bank account
> > (or vice versa).  All the entries changed over, but
> > they were put in what I thought was the wrong field.
>
> what wrong field?  changing the type of the account from
> asset to bank should not change anything.
>
> (changing from income to asset or expense to debit
> will change the sign of the entries from positive to negative,
> but this is as it should be).

I don't know if I changed hogwash to prime_rib, and it doesn't
matter.  What I was saying was that I changed an account type
AFTER entering a bunch of data, and the data appeared "in the
wrong" spot in the new account.  So I had to manually move
all of the data.  For a dozen entries, this is just annoying.
For a few hundred it is painful.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)