Editing accounts

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:07:48 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca said:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 linas@linas.org wrote:
>
> > It's been rumoured that ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca said:
> > >
> > > When a person is first learning GnuCash, and setting up
> > > non-trivial accounts, it sure would be nice if it was
> > > easier to edit things.  I had one account set up as an
> > > asset I think, and then changed it to a bank account
> > > (or vice versa).  All the entries changed over, but
> > > they were put in what I thought was the wrong field.
> >
> > what wrong field?  changing the type of the account from
> > asset to bank should not change anything.
> >
> > (changing from income to asset or expense to debit
> > will change the sign of the entries from positive to negative,
> > but this is as it should be).
>
> I don't know if I changed hogwash to prime_rib, and it doesn't
> matter.  What I was saying was that I changed an account type
> AFTER entering a bunch of data, and the data appeared "in the
> wrong" spot in the new account.  So I had to manually move

I have no idea to what you are referring to.  What do you mean when you
say 'wrong spot'?   What did you 'move', from where to where?

One of the display options on a register is the order in which to show
transactions.  You can have them sorted alpahbetically, by date, by
amount, etc.  Maybe you had a different sort order in the other account?

--linas