Posting Investments

Ed Waldron ed@ge-and-dl-waldron.org
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:41:17 -0500

This is probably a situation where I don't understand your methodology
properly.  However, I can't get stocks to record correctly.

The account is classed as an investment account.  The way it's behaving
(accumulating the total number of shares), it appears that I need a
separate sub-account for each security.  This is an extremely awkward way
to handle a portfolio.  In addition, it doesn't want to account for the
acquisition costs properly.

When you purchase a stock, the total value = (share price * number of
shares) + commissions & fees.  Unless I'm missing something fundamental,
it doesn't want to do that.

If someone could clarify the proper way to record a security transaction,
I'd appreciate it.

The rest of the set-up has been pretty straightforward, although I *did*
have to sit down and remember how to construct a proper chart of
accounts.  It would be helpful to new users to have a small selection of
"typical" charts of accounts to pick from to get started.

--
Ed Waldron
>From the Linux box
Red Hat Linux and Netscape...life *can* be good.