Posting Investments

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:30:58 +1000

Ed Waldron writes:
 > This is probably a situation where I don't understand your methodology
 > properly.  However, I can't get stocks to record correctly.
 >
 > The account is classed as an investment account.  The way it's behaving
 > (accumulating the total number of shares), it appears that I need a
 > separate sub-account for each security.

Yep, that's right.

 > This is an extremely awkward way
 > to handle a portfolio.

Why?  Account creation is a pretty straightforward process, IMHO, and
makes selecting the investments you wish to run reports on straightforward.

 > In addition, it doesn't want to account for the
 > acquisition costs properly.
 >
 > When you purchase a stock, the total value = (share price * number of
 > shares) + commissions & fees.  Unless I'm missing something fundamental,
 > it doesn't want to do that.

You're right.  We don't currently account for acquisition costs
in an automated way.  You should be able to enter a split transaction
which records the costs in a seperate "Brokerage Expenses" account.
Automating this process (and using it to calculate proper ROI and the
like) is on the todo list.  We *will* get around to
it, but if anybody wants to speed up the process help is always
appreciated :)

 > If someone could clarify the proper way to record a security transaction,
 > I'd appreciate it.
 >
 > The rest of the set-up has been pretty straightforward, although I *did*
 > have to sit down and remember how to construct a proper chart of
 > accounts.  It would be helpful to new users to have a small selection of
 > "typical" charts of accounts to pick from to get started.

That's already in the CVS version, I believe Carol Champagne has
already done those.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

<telsa> I left my client on #gtk+ overnight and there was nothing
in scrollback at all except quit/rejoins.
<bighead> telsa: well its been that for, I think 3 days now
(ever since started coming back on IRC)
<telsa> Clearly they are busy implementing telepathy,
and dog-fooding it. :)