Gnucash has too much history data!

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:23:51 -0800

"James D. Holman" writes:
> I imported 3 years worth of Quicken data into Gnucash.
>  I have been off Quicken for 2 months now, but all the
> history data and huge retained earnings aren't much
> use to me.  Here is what I want to do:
>
> 1)  Close out year 2000 (really delete all 2000 year
> transactions and start fresh from 2001).
>
> I have so much data, that the thought of deleting
> transactions one-by-one is heart-rendering.

There is currently no automated way to close the books
in GnuCash. The next stable version will at the very
least allow you to export just your account hierarchy,
which will make it somewhat easier. Automated closing
is definitely on our TODO list, though.

> 2)  I am drowning in Gnucash data files in my home
> directory!  Does it do a new backup each time I exit?
> Which data files do I really need to keep?

The one you specify when you load gnucash is the only
one you need. The others are backups.

dave