Stocks/Mutuals: my statements don't have +/- shares; how to enter?

Doug leonmcclatchey@homemail.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 19:20:42 -0500

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 12:23 pm, Roland Roberts wrote:

>     Chris> How do you enter this info if you have statements like
>     Chris> this?  Any suggestions for a less painful way to enter this
>     Chris> info?
>
> I set up a spreadsheet using Star Office (substitute your favorite
> spreadsheet program) where I transfer all the above information and it
> does all the calculations for me.  I don't know about your statement,
> but mine also has columns for dividends paid and contribution amounts
> (dollars) by both me and my company.
>
> If you want, I can send you my Star Office spreadsheet (with amount
> deleted but with all the formulae intact).
>
> roland

Not sure what version of SO you have, but both 5.1 and 5.2 had a template=
=20
included which allowed you to track your stocks.  That's what I've got se=
t up=20
here as well:-)  Then, once you've got all your stocks entered, you could=
=20
plug in the current prices and it compares the purchase price with the ac=
tual=20
worth.  There is supposed to be a way via StarBasic that you can set it u=
p to=20
actually get the current prices automatically, but haven't got that part=20
figured out yet:-)

But you are right, it is a lot easier to track your stocks that way, but =
when=20
you include them in with the other gnucash data, (or other bookkeeping=20
programs), it is easier to get a picture of your total worth.  But the da=
ta=20
entry for gnucash stocks needs a bit of ironing out (next version?).  But=
 I=20
do like how version 11 displays worth and profit in the status line. =20
Hopefully tho the next version will also include a method to do year end=20
transactions?  Even an external utility such as gnc-prices would work?

Thanx Loads:-)

--=20
cya l8r
Leon D. McClatchey
mailto:leonmcclatchey@homemail.com
ICQ:#112341159

I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.