Stocks/Mutuals: my statements don't have +/- shares; how to enter?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 23 May 2001 18:30:52 -0500

This is an old message, but I was clearing my mailbox ...

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 12:10:24AM -0400, Chris Shenton was heard to remark:
> Been using GnuCash for only a few months now and am trying to enter
> various 401(k) statements I get.  One statement shows:
>
> Fund            ___Shares___    _Share_Price_   _Market_Value__
> Name            Last    This    Last    This    Last       This
>
> FidelityGrowth  62.3    62.4    36.2    23.3    2252.00 1454.83
>
> (No laughing at how my retirement is going down the toilet, please)-:
>
> Anyway: what it doesn't provide is the Number of Shares bought or
> sold. This makes it painful to enter into GnuCash.  I have to manually
> subtract the shares This - Last then enter that (e.g. 0.1 share) into

You can enter fairly complicated expressions into many gnucash fields,
so you canhave it do the math.  In this example, you can type in
62.4-62.3 into the num-shares field and gnucash will do the subtraction

(you can use + - * /, parenthesis.  No builtin math funcs.)

> PS: what Transfer account would be appropriate? I just used one I
>     called Income:Stocks/Mutuals.

that works.

--
Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/