Where are the stock incomes?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 17 May 2001 12:15:56 -0500

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 10:47:39AM +0200, Klaus Ridder was heard to remark:
> Following Situation:
>=20
> I buy 10 Stocks for $100, then sell them for $150,-.
> My income from that is $500,-.
>=20
> Where can I see that in gnucash? Isn't it possible to "book" that to an
> account?
> How can I see how much I won from what stock accounts?

When you sell them, you should see your bank account increase by $500

There used to be a report (in gnucash-1.2) that provided a 'cost-basis'
report.  It used a FIFO to show both realized and unrealized gains (the
FIFO is recommended by the IRS, since you want to hold 12 months to
get the long-term cap gains tax rate).

During all the flurry of work on reports, the fifo has fallen into
disrepair.  There was a function called xaccAccountRecomputeCostBasis()
in gnucash-1.4 but it disappeared in version 1.5.  I am not sure=20
if its been re-implemented in scheme, or what the status is.
Volunteers needed ...

--linas

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz--