GnuCash and running a business?

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 14:20:31 -0400

Hi all,

I'm wondering if I will be capable of (in the future, not
necessarilly soon) running a business with GnuCash someday.  Or do
you think that (the still vaporware) GnuEnterprise project is better
suited for that type of things.

I guess the things that I'd be interested in seeing in
business-related software would be things like:

	- payroll
	- project tracking
	- billing (time/services)
	- personell/materiel management

etc.

It seems that financial apps out there today (Soloman, AppGen, SAP,
PeopleSoft) are essentially a general ledger (like what GnuCash is
today) with modular add-ons that allow you massage the items in
question (like milage, lunch, widgets,etc.) into numbers that plug
into the general ledger on one hand, but all be manipulated
separately on the other for various reports generation.

This is meant more as a general discussion question, rather than a
feature request, since at this time I"m gainfully employed by someone
other than myself, and therefore have no current (personal) need for this
functionality :)

What are the intricacies involved in developing a package that does
deliver all this functionality?  I'm sure it requires a significant
amount of time/effort, but is it overly complicated, or is it *just*
time/effort that needs to be put into coding?  What are the issues
involved?

Just curious :)
--

Seeya,