GnuCash and running a business?

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 09:51:58 -0400

In a message dated: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:30:51 CDT
Linas Vepstas said:

>On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 04:25:05PM -0400, Paul Lussier was heard to remark:
>> However, I think it might worthwhile to use GnuCash
>> as the General Ledger interface for something like GnuEnterprise?!
>
>Well, a while ago, I made a stink about how gnucash could server as a
>client for a client-server system, and we now have an rpc interface,
>and a broken http-xml interface.  But no one really took the bait.
>No one got as excited as I did.
>
>I'm still pretty excited.

Well, I think it may be a good idea, however, if I remember the
thread correctly, it seemed to be phrased in such a way that the
average home user would then be required to be a DBA as well.

Quicken users won't migrate to Linux if they're required to:

	1. Get software package
	2. Read INSTALL file
	3. Get list of other required software
	4. Compile/Install a bunch of other required software
	5. Compile/Install original sw pkg.

Now, if GnuCash had this ability, but it was a build time option,
then the RPMs and debs, etc. could be compiled without these
features.  This would enable the average user to grap a package and
just install it without needing to know anything.

If someone else wanted/needed to install GnuCash in a client/server
configuration, then they could go get the source and configure/
install it on their own.

Or, maybe, there could be different sets or precompiled packages?

I guess I can sort of see how having GnuCash designed in a client/server
manner might be good for some uses, especially is other projects like
GnuE wanted to use it as their interface to something back-ended by a
database of some kind.
--

Seeya,
Paul