problems with 1.6.4

Greg Woods greg@gregandeva.net
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 07:44:24 -0700

Bill Gribble wrote:

> All you have to do is install a complete Gnome development system from a
> single source, like Ximian or the Gnome Packaging Project.

It's been said here before, but it bears repeating: by far the easiest
way to get gnucash 1.6 working is to go out and get a distribution that
includes it out of the box. Typically, these are recent distributions
that include GNOME 1.4 by default. I know that at least Red Hat 7.2,
SuSE 7.3, and Debian unstable (sid) will support gnucash, and installing
a whole distribution from the CD is going to be way easier than trying
to upgrade GNOME in place. I know, because I have done it all three ways
now. I started with a Red Hat 7.1 system and did the "crawl rpmfind"
thing (using a partition that I dedicated to this, so I didn't really
care if I screwed up the system). In that case I waa installing gnucash
from source. As Bill mentioned, this is a very painful process, and I do
not recommended it for anyone who isn't an experienced sysadmin. I also
tried the "upgrade to Ximian GNOME" method (also on RH7.1). Tbis
actually caused some things I was doing to break, and because of all the
*.ximian.i386.rpm packages installed, I could not complete a normal
upgrade to RH7.2 and had to do a complete reinstall. And that was the
last thing I did: install RH7.2 from CD. This was by far easier than
either of the other two methods and had far fewer impacts on the rest of
the system. Really, unless you enjoy fooling around with the system for
its own sake, just go get a distribution that already includes the stuff
that gnucash needs.

--Greg