hidden accounts in gnucash?

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
07 Nov 2001 14:27:42 -0800

--=-9FxTB8bKQRsCAQHChCDP

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 18:52, Steve Petersen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> I'm hoping to switch over to Gnucash for 2002, severing my last tie with
> stinking Windows.  In general I'm looking forward to this change, though
> I worry some about transition issues.  I think I *won't* import from
> Quicken--I think I'll just start afresh with Gnucash.
>=20
> One further hesitation, though:  a feature I like in Quicken is the
> ability to make "savings goals" accounts, and treat then as "hidden
> accounts".  I can switch between a view of my checking account that
> shows how much money I *really* have in it, versus how much I'd like to
> consider *available* after subtracting off these savings goals / hidden
> accounts.  Have I made this feature clear?  If so:  is there an
> equivalent feature in Gnucash?

There is something along those lines. What you can do is create
sub-accounts off of the main account and transfer your savings
goals into the sub-accounts. As of GnuCash 1.6.4, the reconcile
dialog can include sub-accounts so that won't mess up your
reconciliation. You can set the account tree window to display
either the total balance including sub-accounts, or the simble
balance without them.

dave

--=-9FxTB8bKQRsCAQHChCDP

--=-9FxTB8bKQRsCAQHChCDP--