usability questions

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 00:25:52 -0500

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 10:59:04AM -0500, John Thompson was heard to remark:
> Second, I'm a keyboard kind of  person, at least when it comes to entering
> data into gnucash, and find it awkward to have to use the mouse to change
> entry dates, select expense categories, etc.  I'm thinking something on the
> order of this: with the cursor in the date field, using the

currently I think + and - do the day, shift+ and shift- the month.
I forget how to do years ... {} or [] ??  I think upper/lowercase d,m,y
also do days/months/years I forget. Its in the docs somewhere ...
'keyboard accelerators'.

> so I don't have to use the rodent for this.  The same idea for the expense
> category: tab over to the field, then use the arrow keys to scroll through
> the available categories.  Is this possible?

The arrow keys worked last time I used them.  You can also type the first
few letters of the category; hit enter to select.

shift-tab makes the tab go the other way.

you can create and edit  entirely with the keyboard, without ever
thouching the mouse, although I admit that when I am in a hurry, this
only makes me make even more mistakes ....

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>
     Key fingerprint = 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984  3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933