Importing Qif files with ScripIssues

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
09 Oct 2001 18:18:48 -0500

On Tue, 2001-10-09 at 17:25, Derek Jennings wrote:
> Like many Gnucash Newbies I need to import my existing records from Quicken.
> When I tried it I got several warning messages informing me that Gnucash did
> not recognise Transactions of type ScripIssue  (Stock splits) or RtnCapital

Those are new(ish) transaction types, and the importer doesn't know
about them yet, unfortunately.  Stock splits in the US version of
Quicken are done with the 'StkSplit' type.  The semantics of the price
and number of shares fields are strange; I'd have to go look through the
source code to be sure, but ISTR the number of shares is 1 and the price
represents the number of new shares for each old share.

> Another small thing I noticed in the import Druid was that it very kindly
> recognised that we do not all live in the US and suggested checking the date
> format of the records, but then the drop down menu did not offer  a date
> style  in UK format  (dd-mm-yy) Although strangely it did not seem to matter
> because the imported records seemed to be recorded with the correct format.

The importer does a "sanity check" on the dates and tries to figure out
what format(s) could reasonably have been used for that file.  For
example, the date 12-31-99 is almost certain to refer to December 31,
1999 regardless of the user's locale since no other interpretation than
dd-mm-yy makes any sense.

The drop-down pick list only offers the choices that make sense given
the dates that are in the file being imported.  Quicken uses US date
formats almost universally; I've seen some French and German QIFs with
non-US date style but never from an English-language version of Quicken.
b.g.