Copy and Paste (was: QIF syntax question)

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:19:56 -0400

In a message dated: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:50:32 CDT
Glen Ditchfield said:

>On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 11:29:14AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>> Why not make ctrl-x, ctrl-v work for transactions instead of strings?

Hey, can I throw in a vote for Emacs key bindings :)

That's one of the things I'm finding really useful about typing in my
8 months worth of data.  My fingers already know things like
cut'n'paste, etc.  It's so natural for me to be inside Emacs that I'm
flying along typing this stuff in (keyboard bindings for my shortcuts
help a lot too:)

To have to learn MS bindings for these things would slow me down
considerably if I were to attempt using the Gnucash GUI for what I'm
doing right now.

>On October 10, 2001 02:20 pm, Jeb Bateman wrote:
>> I don't know, on one hand I agree with you.  I would rather C-x C-v
>> copied and pasted transactions.  But then again, many people will be
>> confused and lost by the inability to copy/paste text via the Edit
>> menu.  Perhaps it could be coded to copy the current transaction if no
>> text was selected, (and otherwise copy the text).  Is that possible?

Is there an MS equivalent that allows you to do "set point" and mark
out what you want to perform an action upon?  Similar to Emacs'
C-<space>?  You could "set point" then move the cursor to the end of
what ever you wanted to copy to the buffer.  It could be a field, a
row, or an entire transaction.

>   In a multi-line style, does it make sense to select and copy a single split?

Sure, what if I regularly have the same split but others differ.  For
example, every month I make 1 trip to the bank to deposit various
checks.  One of those every month is a rent check from my one tenant.
It's always for the same ammount.  The other checks differ.  Some
months I have none, others I have reimbursement checks from friends,
work, etc.  If I just want to copy that one line, I should be able to
regardless of context.

>   In the tree of accounts, does it make sense to select and copy an account?

Hmmmm, maybe, but I don't see that happening very often.  You may
want to duplicate the account and give it another name.  I don't know.
Sure, why not :)
--

Seeya,
Paul

			  God Bless America!

	...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
		and we never stop trying to be better.
		       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon