Crash on Reconcile - (aka help)

Frank Sfalanga frank@swflug.org
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:05:21 -0500

Hey Paul,

I used rpm from the commandline like this:

rpm -uvh gnucash-1.6.4-etc.i586.rpm

..and when I got the long list of dependencies that were not satisfied I started trying to find them at rpmfind.net.  Since I use Mandrake I was able to find rpm packages that had versions consistent with AT LEAST the version needed to satisfy the dependency requirement - so.... I used any RPM package that had a version number high enough and had the ...mdk.i586.rpm at the end of it.  They were all available from Mandrake Cooker or Ximian but I stuck with the Mandrake Cooker versions.

Usually what I found was that an rpm that was needed **also** had rpms that were needed too.  Using a piece of paper, when I came to a situation like this I would write down the package that wouldn't install.  I would get all of ITS dependencies satisfied by downloading the needed src.rpms or i586.rpms, compile and/or install them and then try to install the rpm I had written down on the piece of paper again.  I would go back and forth like this, downloading and installing.  Finally, it would install without a hitch.

Next I would try to install GnuCash 1.6.4 *AGAIN* using the rpm -uvh switch.  The list of unsatisfied dependencies would slowly dwindle down as they were met.  Finally, when no other dependencies were left unsatisfied - it installed!  Boom!

After an hour I had a perfectly working installation of GnuCash!

It seems important to go through all of this since using the --nodeps or --force switches with rpm would make any testing useless.  Of course the product won't work properly if the libraries are not correct, right?

I can say that it is installed correctly and working (at least according to hoyle, right?) so any issues I have should be reproducable.  So, how's about it?  Does anyone else have issues with reconciling their accounts?

-Frank ;-)

You Wrote:

Hi Frank, you didn't by any chance keep notes on how you did this?  I
tried 1.6 on RH7.1 but gave up and slunk away in defeat after quite a
bit of effort. Perhaps your experience could be immortalized in the
FAQ...

PdP