Organizing files

Matt Kowske jmkowske@students.wisc.edu
23 Oct 2001 20:50:19 -0500

I was wondering what is the standard practice for managing financial
data files?  I just started using gnucash a few months ago and realize
that if I continue to use it for many years that a huge amount of data
and transactions are going to accumulate.  When i open my checkbook
register a few years down the road it will have hundreds if not
thousands of pages.  Will this slow down the program?  Make it
unstable?  Do most people start an entirely new .xcs file at the start
of a new year and then put old ones  in a .gz file or what?  Just
curious what the best way to go about this is.  The thing that concerns
me most is if i start a new file on the new year, it won't really be
accurate.  I'll have to have "Initial Balances" for everything and I
won't be able to see where that money came from.  What does everyone
else do?

-Matt