QIF importing duplicates

Anthony W. Juckel awj@digitalgreen.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:16:46 -0500

I have a few issues with the QIF import process in the latest Debian
package of GnuCash (1.6.1).  My issues are with the determination and
designation of duplicate entries.  First of all, it seems more than
unweildly to have to run through a longish list (> 10 entries) of
transactions, and select a duplicate for each one.  I wish the system
would automatically set the duplicate field, and would not force you to
click every single transaction in the list.

Second, my institution does not supply a Payee value within the QIF
download for checks which were written, or deposits that were handled.
 Because of this, GnuCash will not even list checks within the list of
possible duplicates, and it simply re-imports every check within the
imported QIF file.  Especially here, I would think that if the check
number and the amount coincide, there should be no question as to
whether or not the imported transaction is a duplicate.

So, my questions are thus:  Is it possible to change the criteria that
quicken uses to check for duplicate messages?  Also, is there any
technical reason why you have to select every duplicate rather than just
being given a list of all the transactions within the imported file,
with a Matched or New flag next to each (a la Quicken)?

Anthony W. Juckel
Digital Green, LLC.