Customizing GnuCash

Anthony W. Juckel awj@digitalgreen.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:24:36 -0500

 From the get go, I've been told that GnuCash would be an extensible
financial system (which is very appealing to me, and is one of the main
reasons I prefer the Emacs editor for any serious text editing).  The
interface seems to be coming along quite nicely, and I have recently
decided to try to port all my financial information from Quicken into
GnuCash (with mixed results thus far), so now I would like to have more
information about how to customize GnuCash.  I think I have read that
both Guile and Perl are supported for extensibility.  Is one language
preferable to the other (with regards to GnuCash interoperability rather
than programmer preference)?  Is there any information about the API's
that are supplied by the system?  As a reference, two things I would
like to do are (from simple to complex):

1)    Set up some default keybindings (so the Delete key deletes a
transaction, for instance), and
2)    Set up a system where, if a transaction is added to a specific
account, a percentage of that transaction is logged to a Gnumeric
spreadsheet (yet another Gnome program that preaches extensibility, yet
I have yet to find any documentation on it).

Basically, I'm wondering if the documentation on extensibility is really
as sparse as it seems, or is there some vast cache of info that I have
yet to find?

Anthony W. Juckel
GnuCash 1.6.1