No date formats given for QIF import

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
30 Oct 2001 12:42:53 +0000

On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 07:24, stevechampeau@mindspring.com wrote:
> I just installed gnucash 1.62 on my Mandrake 8.0 system. When I
> attempted to import my QIF file, it said that it could not completely
> determine the correct date format given the data in the file, and popped
> up a dialog querying for it. Unfortunately, the format dropdown on the
> dialog is empty, and attempting to go further in the wizard throws a
> runtime exception.
>
> Looking at the QIF file, I don't see how they could have come up with a
> goofier date format. "June 19, 2000" is coded as "D6/19' 0". No wonder
> gnucash can't figure it out. Is there any way I can get around this?

Gnucash understands that date format just fine (it's common in QIF).

You only see that druid page if Gnucash can't determine what order the
month, day, and year are in; Quicken is inconsistent about how it does
this.  But the date you use as an example is what I call a "smoking gun"
-- it can only be interpreted in one way (there's no month 19, or month
0, so the first number must be the month, and there's no day 0 so the
second number must be the day-of-month) and so it by itself should be
enough to prevent you from seeing that page of the druid.

Are all the dates in the file the same format?  Gnucash is supposed to
fail to import if there are contradictory "smoking guns" in the file,
but it still shouldn't show you that page.

I don't really know what's going on.  Could you send me the QIF file in
private email?

Thanks,
Bill Gribble